December is when we often reflect on the past year while setting goals for next year. I’ve never been a fan of New Year’s resolutions, but I create a list of potential accomplishments and things to achieve throughout the year. This works okay, but I realize I need a detailed plan to achieve more.
On May 19, 2009 I wrote my first blog post… and finished the year with 4 posts. In 2010 I had a single post and 4 posts in 2011. The problem was that I didn’t have any real objective or detailed plan, consequently I was failing.
At the beginning of 2012 it was clear that I needed something more specific to work toward. I set a goal to publish 12 posts – 12 in ’12. This is the 12th post! I got a little behind during the year, but thanks to fellow co-worker Brandon Carter’s article Just Hit Publish, I felt encouraged to keep going.
The more I published the more I began to delve into the blogging community. This year two blog authors inspired and motivated me. One writes about travel, the other about leadership. I’ve found both to be amazing marketers and motivators. Hopefully they don’t mind me sharing their secrets.
- The first is Lesley Carter of Bucket List Publications (not related to the previously mentioned Brandon Carter – at least not to my knowledge). Read her blog HERE.
- Lesson Learned: Create a bucket list for the year, things you want to get done before the year dies. Write it down and share it with others. Thanks for sharing your 2012 Bucket List Lesley! Life truly is an adventure.
- The second is Todd Nielsen, his former site was SliceOfLeadership.com. Read his blog and check out his new site HERE.
- Lesson Learned: Create a success plan that helps you balance all aspects of your life. Develop lead measures, quantifiable goals and most importantly a reward. Reach out to Todd and I’m sure he’ll share his Personal Success Plan with you.
Interestingly both of these inspiration people focus an immense amount of time and energy helping other people fulfill their dreams and goals.
So how can you Plan to Succeed in 2013?
- Help Out – If you want to be successful, help other people find success!
- Plan it – Create a game plan that balances all aspects of your life – I’m always an advocate of Work Hard and Play Hard.
- Share it – By sharing you’re more likely to hold yourself accountable. It also allows people around you to be supportive and helpful.
Don’t plan at all and you risk setting yourself up for failure. I’m working on my 2013 plan now and will share it in the upcoming weeks.