Started your 2017 Marketing Plan?
Did you even have a 2016 Marketing Plan? Did you follow it?
I’ve worked for start-up companies, mid-size businesses, and large companies with hundreds of employees. It is shocking how different each company approaches building a marketing plan. There’s always a lot of discussion around how and where to get started for developing a new plan.
Here are 5 steps to get started:
- Review what happened in 2016 (1 hr. 30 minutes)
- What worked?
- What didn’t work?
- Segment your 2016 Marketing Plan into two buckets (30 minutes)
- What should I keep? (do again)
- What needs to be scrapped?
- Determine “What else” (2 hrs.)
- What should be added for 2017?
- Let it sit for 48 hours
- Let it simmer – more ideas will come to mind
- Evaluate the new plan and answer the following questions: (1 hr.)
- If we accomplish this what will be the outcome or result?
- If we don’t accomplish this what will be the consequence?
Very simple, very basic – but it’s a structure that will give some direction. The goal is to come up with a general outline for your 2017 Marketing Plan.
This outline can be shared with other departments and the management team. Remember, you’re showing them the picture of the forest, don’t try to paint every tree yet at this point.
After you get initial buy-in, further develop the specific strategies, initiatives, and campaigns.
This may seem overly simplistic, but for many businesses getting started doesn’t need ot be more complicated than this.